- What is an internsip?
- What are the types of internships?
- What are the qualifications I need to apply for an internship?
- What countries can I go to?
- What is the duration of the internship?
- How do I get an internship?
- What are the living/working conditions of the internship?
- What is the role of AIESEC University of Colombo?
- What about the visa and other documents?
- What support can I expect from AIESEC in the country I go to?
- Will there be any other interns in the country I am going to?
- What is the cost involved?
- After the completion of my internship, if I wish to continue working in the company will AIESEC assist me?
- How many internships can I go to?
1. What is an internship?
An internship is an integral part of the AIESEC experience. It is an opportunity to grow dynamically working in an international environment and experience a different culture. Go to top
2. What are the types of internships?
There are 4 different types of internships :
- a) Development internship
- You have the opportunity to work in a company, NGO, government, university or organization and will spend the majority of your time working in areas related to community development issues. These areas may include children’s rights, environmental issues, education, rural development and entrepreneurship.
- b) Educational internship
- You have the opportunity to work in a company, NGO, government, university or organization and will spend the majority of your time working in areas related to Education. These areas may include teaching a language, teaching another subject in another language, curriculum development, character development, career counseling, cultural interaction and perspective promotion in academic fields or sectors. For this you must have academic and working backgrounds in the field of education.
- c) Management internship
- You have the opportunity to work in a company, NGO, government, university or other organization and will spend the majority of your time working in areas related to management. These areas may include finance, accounting, marketing, project management, organizational management or human resources.
- d) Technical internship
- You have the opportunity to work in a company, NGO, government, university or organization and will spend the majority of your time working in areas related to information technology or engineering projects. These areas may include web development and management, software development and programming, system analysis and design, network management and database management. Technical skills, expertise and experience are required to participate in this type of internship. Go to top
3. What are the qualifications I need to apply for an internship?
You must be an undergraduate/graduate below 28 years of age having valid documents supporting your educational qualifications. If you have done any courses (software programming, CA etc.) and/or learnt any language, it is recommended that you have the necessary documents supporting this. Go to top
4. Which countries can I go to?
Internships are offered in over a 100 countries which comprise of the AIESEC network. It is present in all 5 continents and covers countries like France, Germany, Portugal, Brazil, Ecuador, Argentina, Columbia, Canada, USA, Russia, Ukraine, China, Japan, Pakistan, India, Malaysia, Australia, Nigeria, Ghana, Ivory Coast, Tunisia, Hong Kong, South Africa and many more. Go to top
5. What is the duration of the internship?
An internship lasts eight weeks (2 months) to 78 weeks (18 months). An internship of three months or less in duration is a Short Term internship while anything above three months is Long Term. Go to top
6. How do I get an internship?
Upon showing interest you will have to fill up a simple application form. Afterwards, you will be interviewed. Once selected for the Global Internship Programme, you will be given a form, which upon filling it will be uploaded to our online database (myaiesec.net), which connects all 100 AIESEC member countries. All available internships and interns (like you) have their forms on this database and your form will be matched to one according to the type of internship and other criteira supplied by you. This generally takes around 45–60 days. So you might need to get in touch with us as soon as possible. Go to top
7. What are the living/working conditions of the internship?
AIESEC ensures that all internships it offers provide enough remuneration for you to live in that particular country. Remuneration levels differ from country to country. You will get an adequate stipend for food, accommodation and travel from the company if not already provided. It will not make you rich overnight but will be enough for you to live reasonably. Go to top
8. What is the role of AIESEC University of Colombo?
AIESEC University of Colombo bears the responsibility of getting you an internship and in preparing you for any cultural shocks you might experience there. Go to top
9. What about the visa and other documents?
On an AIESEC internship all relevant documents which you require to get the visa will be provided. AIESEC, however, does not take responsibility for getting you the visa. An invitation letter by the Organization you will be working with, a cover letter by AIESEC University of Colombo and the Internship Acceptance Notes from both you and the Organization formalizing the internship will be provided in order for you to get the visa. Go to top
10. What support can I expect from AIESEC in the country I go to?
Once you get to the country of your internship you will be received by AIESEC members from that country and you may also be involved in activities of AIESEC in that country. Evaluations are conducted periodically to ensure that you as well as the company are happy with the internship. Any sort of support you require otherwise, you can communicate to the AIESEC members in that country. Go to top
11. Will there be any other interns in the country I am going to?
AIESEC is involved in various fields in both development and corporate sector. As such many organizations partner with AIESEC to fulfill their requirements and thus, there will be other trainees besides you from various parts of the globe. Go to top
12. What is the cost involved?
You don’t have to pay anything initially (from application to the interview stage). Upon passing the interview, for the signing of the contract Rs. 2500/- should be paid and upon acceptance you have to pay Rs. 12500/-. Go to top
13. After the completion of my internship, if I wish to continue working in the company will AIESEC assist me?
AIESEC is technically and legally responsible for you only during the internship period. After this period if you are integrated into the company then we at AIESEC University of Colombo expect a party. Go to top
14. How many internships can I go to?
Once selected, you can go for a maximum of 2 internships. Go to top